REMINDER – The Direct Debit Guarantee has changed!
Just a friendly reminder to our clients and readers. The Service User Guide and Rules recently changed. These changes could affect any new Direct Debits your supporters, customers and members set up. We will be studying the new guide and rules in great detail over the next few weeks, and we’ll let you know if there are any major changes you need to make.
In the meantime don’t forget that the Direct Debit Guarantee has changed!
With effect from 1st January 2011 ALL Service Users must use the Direct Debit Guarantee wording as follows:
- This Guarantee is offered by all banks and building societies that accept instructions to pay Direct Debits
- If there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit (insert your organisation name) will notify you (insert number of) working days in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed. If you request to collect a payment, confirmation of the amount and date will be given to you at the time of the request.
- If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by (insert your organisation name) or your bank or building society you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society
- If you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you must pay it back when (insert your organisation name) asks you to
- You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by simply contacting your bank or building society. Written confirmation may be required. Please also notify us.
What do you need to do?
- Your eDirectDebit site was automatically changed in 2009
- If Rapidata handle your fulfilment then your Advance Notification Letters have already been changed
- If you use a custom email on your eDirectDebit site then you will need to send us an updated guarantee
- If you haven’t sent us an updated Direct Debit Instruction for your eDirectDebit website, please forward one to email@example.com as soon as possible
- Make sure that the Direct Debit Instructions you use elsewhere in your organisation have been updated
If you have any questions about this change, please send email our support team on firstname.lastname@example.org.