Guide to obtaining a Direct Debit Service User Number (SUN)
How do you get a Service User Number (SUN) and how do you put it live so you can offer Direct Debits?
As a Bacs Approved Bureau with over 20 years experience in helping organisations to set up Direct Debits, we are often are asked this by clients.
We’ve put together a quick 7 step how-to guide to obtaining a Service User Number, which could help explain the process more simply:
1. Contact your Relationship Manager at your bank
2. Ask your Relationship Manager for the following forms (these may differ slightly depending on your bank):
- Bacstel IP Indirect Submitter
- AUDDIS and Paperless application forms
- Indemnity form
If you are using Rapidata to setup and process your Direct Debits, your Account Manager will guide you on these forms and the process.
3. Complete and return the completed application forms to your bank
Your Relationship Manager will have to approve and once done, will send on to the bank’s Bacs Team to issue your six digit Service User Number (SUN).
4. Complete AUDDIS test file
This is a file that you will be sending (or your bureau) to setup new Direct Debits. This will allocate you a live date once successful.
5. Complete Paperless Direct Debit training
This training will allow you to take Direct Debit via the telephone or online.
6. Obtain documents approval with the Bacs Team
These documents are those you use for signing up new payers or supporters, and the confirmation or advance notice letter that you must sent out. It’s vital that these documents meet the Bacs Guides and Rules.
7. You will be issued a live date
From this date you can setup and process Direct Debits – congratulations!
This is a very simple guide to getting a Service User Number, as there are different options and things to consider if you already have Direct Debits in place.
If you would like to understand how you can benefit from Direct Debit or would like to know more about how to switch to Rapidata, please contact us on 01293 601111 or email email@example.com