Using digital technology has become increasingly important in a fundraiser’s toolkit. With the growth of smartphones, charities must think about how, when and where people are donating and their experience during the online process.
Here are our top tips to help you make the most from your online fundraising platforms:
- Before you start, think about when and how you plan to communicate with your supporters, and find out if your online fundraising service provides any email support.
- Don’t give your supporters the opportunity to leave. Reduce the size of your forms, remove unnecessary information and link to your payment merchant (Paypal, WorldPay, iATS), to give your donors an easy, simple journey.
- As more people are using their mobiles to make donations, make sure your site is optimised otherwise you’ll lose donations.
- Giving people an example of what they get for their donation will persuade them to take action.
- Use a donation tracker to show your progress – they can encourage people to help you reach the end.
- Giving your supporters easy-to-share messages, tweets, pictures, videos or blogging can build a community around your campaign. Keeping them up to date with your progress will also help you keep your supporters enthusiastic.
- Vitally important is thanking your supporters – both throughout and when you reach your target.
Running a fundraising event can be time consuming and expensive, so making sure you have a carefully laid out plan is key.
Here are some tips to help you to make your fundraising event a success:
Know your audience: Make sure the activity would be something your supporters would like to do.
Set a realistic goal: Supporters need to believe a goal is achievable in order to back it. You can always increase it, if you exceed it.
Make it emotive: using pictures that express the event, charity and move people about your cause will help to create a bond and gain trust.
Less is more: Your landing page should be concise - explain what the event is, it’s impact on your cause and how people sign up. Don’t use too much text as it won’t be read. Give your fundraisers help to write their stories about the event, from a team and individual point of view - this will help get your message across consistently.
Keep it short: Keeping momentum is key to achieving your goals – if the event is promoted too far in advance you’ll lose your audience’ interest.
Make it fun: Any fundraising activity should be engaging and fun - make sure it reflects the personality of your charity.
Encourage your fundraisers: give them the tools to succeed, such as shopping lists, images and messages. Make sure you keep in touch with them frequently with encouraging messages, tips for success and shout outs on social media when they hit their milestones.
Rapidata's online fundraising tools are delivered via the Artez platform which is owned by FrontStream.
We provide customer service and technical support for all Artez services, including one off donation pages, tribute pages, event registrations and merchandise.
Simply get in touch with us on 01293 601 111 or firstname.lastname@example.org, Monday to Friday, 9am - 5.30pm GMT.
FrontStream is a Level 1 PCI compliant merchant solutions provider of integrated payment products, processing over $4 billion dollars a year through their innovative Argofire gateway technology. FrontStream has a particular focus on serving the NPO community with best of breed technology and associated payment solutions.
FrontStream’s management team has roots in the nonprofit sector and a deep history working with NGOs, schools and charities. In 2012, FrontStream acquired the FirstGiving fundraising platform and have also integrated their donation processing APIs with a number of major crowdfunding providers.
Their current clients include well-known organizations like: Fisher House Foundation, Habitat for Humanity, Ronald McDonald House Charities, Special Olympics and various chapters of the Boys & Girls Clubs of America. FrontStream has built strong relationships with key nonprofit partners in North America and are firmly committed to creating powerful fundraising offerings specifically for the nonprofit and education markets.