The Direct Debit Guarantee is Changing
In July 2009 we posted a blog about the changes to the Service User Guide and Rules. The biggest change to the guide is an amendment to the Direct Debit Guarantee that is displayed to anyone setting up a Direct Debit. This may also include any correspondence regarding their Direct Debit such as the Advance Notification Letter or Confirmation Letter.
Back in July 2009 the change was not mandatory, but the deadline is now looming!
With effect from 1st January 2011 ALL Service Users must use the Direct Debit Guarantee wording as follows:
- This Guarantee is offered by all banks and building societies that accept instructions to pay Direct Debits
- If there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit (insert your organisation name) will notify you (insert number of) working days in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed. If you request to collect a payment, confirmation of the amount and date will be given to you at the time of the request.
- If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by (insert your organisation name) or your bank or building society you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society
– If you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you must pay it back when (insert your organisation name) asks you to
- You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by simply contacting your bank or building society. Written confirmation may be required. Please also notify us.
What do you need to do?
- Your eDirectDebit site was automatically changed in 2009
- If you haven’t sent us an updated Direct Debit Instruction for your eDirectDebit website, please forward one to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible
- Make sure that the Direct Debit Instructions you use elsewhere in your organisation have been updated
If you have any questions about this change, please send emailour support team on email@example.com.